Mt Barrow Communications Tower and Facilities Upgrade
The project entailed a major upgrade to a communications facility atop Mt Barrow in Tasmania.
idec’s scope of works included:
- Demolition of existing structures
- Concrete foundations for new structures
- Fabrication and installation of 30m high steel tower, ice shelters, flying fox and walkways
- Installation and connection of VHF antennas and feeders
The methodology for on-site activities was critical to project success given the elevation of the site (1415m), limited ground access to site, changeable weather conditions and the site being within a National Park. Given the site conditions, a helicopter only installation approach was required for much of the works.
- PRINCIPAL CONTRACTOR Air Services Australia
- YEAR 2016
- WE DID Concrete foundations, building installation, tower installation, steel fabrication
- LOCATION Mt Barrow, Tasmania
- CATEGORY Remote Infrastructure